THE HALF HOUR HAPPY HOUR

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Cultural Wasteland


Goal #2 (besides milking a cow)-- I decided I need to save every penny I earn to get that house on the Eastern Shore. For those of you who may not know this, Andy and I have been promised first dibs on a home near his parent's house from a friend of theirs. I guess she plans on moving in 1-2 years, which will give me plenty of time to get cracking! Andy and I were thinking of turning it into a commune for only interesting people--or at least a place for people who have thought of moving to Canada because they are so pissed off about this country and the fools running it. I still am not sure if I plan to run to the northern border or have hope that there will be a huge cultural renaissance in this country real soon. The whole thing is way too depressing to think about. I really have a hard time talking about this. The only analogy I can think to describe this mode of thinking of is when I was lving in Taiwan and one of my friend's wanted his sundae on a cone. The person behind the counter told him there was no button for that, so it wasn't an option. Sometimes it just can't be explained or understood--sometimes people are just coming from totally different places and they won't ever understand the other. That is how I feel about my place in America--I'm the one wanting the sundae...you can guess the rest. I used to be so involved in political campaigns, protests and the like, but I have a bit too much anger to find purpose in this type of action today. Our cultural values in as a whole in the cuontry have become so skewed. I wonder if we can ever turn back. I don't ever plan to join "them" either. Maybe I'll become the next Maya Angelou and write poetry as a cathartic exercise. I don't think I'll feel like this forever because I care too much, but this is how I feel for now.

davisjm1 at 8:41 PM

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment